Prevention is better than cure yet most of us often wait until we become ill before acting to improve our health. WIth so many new diets and lifestyle fads it can become difficult to know what really is right for you. Here are my top 10 tips toward maintaining a healthy diet:
- Minimise nicotine, alcohol and drug use: Toxic substances like these increase the amount of free radicals in the body, create carcinogenic substances in the lungs and overtime becomes extremely taxing on the liver. The liver metabolises bad substances and assists in excreting them. If the liver becomes sluggish, it becomes difficult to detox and excrete substances. Wthout detoxification through the liver we cannot metabolise toxic substances and our body’s become inflamed.
- Consider adding in good quality supplements (quality is crucial with supplements) such as zinc, curcumin and vitamin C; these are all amazing antioxidants for the body. Antioxidants assist in clearing free radicals in the body that contribute the inflammation. These supplements are also alkaline and can therefore neutralise PH levels.
- Build your gut microbiota: The gut microbiome contains a diverse community of bacteria. Studies show that a reduction in gut microbiota contributes to a rapid increase of mucosal inflammation. Mucosal inflammation causes leaky gut: this causes impairment in our gut barrier affecting our absorption of nutrients in the GI tract and causing an increase of toxins leaking out and affecting our organs. Symptoms mainly involve bloating, diarrhoea, constipation, flatulence, fatigue and food sensitivity. Fermented foods products and high strength probiotics can help build this microbiota in the GUT and decrease mucosal inflammation. ** A good probiotic lives in the fridge.
- Remove WHEAT & GLUTEN: Norman Borlaug won the nobel peace prize for creating a pesticide to ensure we have mass wheat grain production to feed mouths worldwide. Unfortunately in nature there is such thing as adaptation, this means our farmers need to spray this chemical up to 5 times more to prevent pests eating crops. Another negative associated with this pesticide is our inability to break it down in the body. In addition, our stomachs hydrochloric acid cannot break down gluten and having these two products in our body can be extremely acidic. My advise is to remove it completely or if you absolutely cannot, choose a good organic rye.
- Consume an alkaline diet high in fruits, green vegetables to maintain a healthy PH: When our bodies are in an inflammatory state our bodies PH is very acidic. Acidity in the body creates an unwanted environment where illness, bacteria, and yeast thrive, and our immunity suffers.
- Hydration: We should be consuming 2-3 litres of water per day depending on how active we are. Don’t wait until you are dehydrated until you drink, by this time we are usually already dehdrated! Imagine turning cells that look like sultanas into big juicy grapes.
- Limit Trans fat intake: Trans fats are unsaturated fats that have been heated and their chemical composition changes to mimic that of a saturated fat. Changing the chemical composition in foods can cause them to be extremely unstable and once heated they create carcinogenous molecules in the body. Carcinogens are molecules that contribute to building cancer cells in living tissue. A substance that contributes to such harm in the body evidently increases its inflammatory state. In addition trans fats products such as deep fried foods, cakes and pastries, are foods that increase acidity and decrease gut microbiota.
- Increase intake of Monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated fatty acids: A diet rich in healthy fats from un refined oils, nuts and seeds, as well as good quality oily fish assist in healthy gut and brain function, and they keep the naughty saturated fat and high sugar cravings away.
- GO organic: In my opinion, if we don?t know what sort of pesticides our plant sources are being sprayed with, or what our animals are being fed, then we shouldn?t be ingesting these products. As seen above, toxic chemicals and wheat products (mostly fed to non organic cattle) contribute to our body?s inflammatory state, so I say choose natural foods from the earth and our bodies will be smiling inside out. If your on a budget, atleast try eat organic with the “dirty dozen.” These are the 12 most sprayed fruits and vegetables.
Live a little: I like to to stay balanced. This means having a glass of wine on the weekend, indulging in the occasional sweet treat and not stressing if I’m not at the gym every single day. Afetr all, I’m all about preaching health for happiness and what’s happiness if we feel guilty having the odd slice of cake!
Consider waking up with a warm glass of water with apple cider vinegar and and Rochway organic probiotic punch to prepare your body for digesting foods… it’s tasty i promise!